Aboriginal Health Practitioner
Clinical Services Team
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Conditions of employment as identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The role of the Aboriginal Health Practitioner is to enhance the clinical services provided to clients of Mawarnkarra with the aim of improving health outcomes for Aboriginal people of the area.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Motivation to provide service excellence.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- A demonstrated capacity to improve skills in working effectively, positively and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to prioritise workload and demonstrated organisational skills.
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance.
- Clinical and other services
- Provide and initiate primary health care clinical services as required and necessary.
- Assist the GPs with procedures
- Assist visiting specialists on care of clients.
- Provide advice, education and referrals as necessary.
- Assist in recalling of patients for treatments.
- Assist in ensuring that all information and requirements for Medicare billing are complete and accurate at all times.
- Work collaboratively with other staff including Medical staff, Nursing staff, Receptionists, other Aboriginal Health Workers and the Programs Services Team on client care.
- Education and health promotion
- Work in collaboration with other staff at Mawarnkarra in implementing education and health promotion for clients and the community.
- In collaboration with other staff participate in chronic disease management of clients and provide education to clients and families on care, chronic disease management and health prevention.
- Provide education and training to other health service staff on the health needs of clients of the service.
- Provide advice, education and referrals for clients as necessary.
- Infection control
- Demonstrate maintaining infection control principles at all times.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures in regards to infection control management.
- Assist in educating staff on the policies and procedures of infection control.
- Administrative duties
- Ensure all care provided to a client is entered into the client data management system.
- Ensure statistics and all data is accurate and up-to-date.
- Quality improvement activities
- Participate in continual quality improvement in the delivery of client services.
- Ensure all standards are maintained consistent with evidence based best practice standards as applicable to the role of Aboriginal Health Worker Certificate IV.
- Professional responsibilities
- Work in collaboration with the Registered Nurses and/or the Senior Medical Officer on all relevant issues.
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the successful outcomes of the organisation.
- Participate in research activities within the services as required.
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Other duties as reasonably requested from your line manager.
- Attend and participate in the professional development programs and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working With Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Current Drivers Licence
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
Explore local and northwest attractions near Mawarnkarra Health Service
Our service is located within the City of Karratha 40 minutes from Karratha.
The Pilbara is home to several beautiful beaches with opportunities for diving and snorkelling. The area is perfect for fishing and other water-based activities such as boating, sailing and whale watching. Millstream Chichester National Park is famous for its watering holes and camping spots. Within just a few hours’ drive are the world heritage listed sites of Karijini National Park and Ningaloo Reef. There are regular community events such as the Dampier Markets and horse racing and the recent development of the Karratha Art’s Precinct has opened the region up to more artistic pursuits including exhibitions, dance and theatre performances. We enjoy easy access to attractions such as Indigenous Rock Art accessed through guided tours on the Burrup Peninsula.
Explore more about the Pilbara here.