SAFE HOUSE SUPPORT WORKER
The Safe House Support Worker is part of the Programs Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service. The service’s objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Safe House Team Leader
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The employee shall work shift work.
The ordinary hours of shifts are:
Day shift 6:30am – 2:45pm
Afternoon shift 2:30pm – 10:45pm
Sleepover shift 10:30pm – 6:45am (sleepover allowance and 4hrs paid work)
On Call Allowance
Other conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The focus of a Safe House Support Worker will be to provide a strong support system and a safe environment for clients and their families whilst working under the supervision and direction of the Safe House Team Leader
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to liaise and develop relationships with clients who are having family crisis or homeless situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members and the client population.
- Ability to provide support in highly stressful circumstances.
- Ability to problem solve effectively on a day to day basis and in a crisis situation.
- Ability to negotiate complex issues with clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to liaise effectively with other service providers.
- Motivation to provide service excellence.
- Ability to seek the advice and support of the Safe House Team Leader and other staff when necessary.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- An active driver’s license to transport people in motor vehicles in a safe manner.
- Ability to assist clients with day to day tasks
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance.
- Provide support and assistance to clients:
- Provide appropriate and timely assessments based on client needs and act according to the assessment.
- Provide link-up services to clients and provide support and assistance to clients through this process.
- Participate in case conferencing and undertake all responsibilities as per the care plan of clients.
- Refer clients appropriately to other services within Mawarnkarra and external to Mawarnkarra.
- Provide clients with information about the services they are being referred to and provide support as necessary to clients attending other services.
- Follow-up clients on a regular basis.
- Initiate client contact where appropriate and necessary.
- Provide support and assistance to clients in their own environment consistent with the policies of Mawarnkarra.
- Work effectively and appropriately with families.
- Provide support and assistance clients requiring housing, family services and assistance with Centrelink and/or Court.
- Advocate the needs of clients to services such as WA Housing, Centrelink, WA Mental Health Services and Family and Community Services.
- Provide assistance and support to families and friends of people who are in detox or rehabilitation.
- Assist clients to improve daily living skills such as budgeting, drug and alcohol awareness and confidence building skills.
- Manage client files:
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of record keeping.
- Records all data on clients as required by Mawarnkarra.
- Program responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Safe House Team Leader, facilitate and initiate group meetings and support services that involve clients, families and community members in respect to the Bringing Them Home Program.
- Professional responsibilities:
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the fulfilment of operational needs of the organisation as they arise.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and compliance with all Mawarnkarra policies and procedures.
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Other duties as directed by management.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
National Police Clearance
Current valid Working with Children’s Check
Current valid driver’s Licence
Current CPR Certificate
All employees are required to adhere to Smoking policy and be willing to undertake a random drug and alcohol screening.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.