Clinical Services Team
This position has been identified as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander position in accordance with the provisions of Section 14A of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates are eligible to apply for this position.
The Counsellor is part of the Clinical Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service. The Service’s objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Senior Medical Officer
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:45pm with 45minutes (unpaid) for lunch daily. You are to be ready for work no later than 8:30am daily.
Other conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The role of the Counsellor is ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people enjoy similar levels of physical, social and emotional wellbeing as enjoyed by other Australians. The program aims to strengthen social and emotional wellbeing wherever possible by providing counselling and/or other supports for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. The program will support strong, healthy and resilient individuals, families and communities which in turn may enhance pathways to education and employment and reduce substance abuse, violence and contact with the criminal justice system.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Motivation to provide service excellence.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Good oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to problem solve effectively on a day to day basis and in a crisis situation.
- Ability to negotiate complex issues with clients.
- Ability to identify situations where a more senior staff member is required for assistance.
- Ability to prioritise workload and demonstrated organisational skills.
- Ability to liaise and develop relationships within the Aboriginal community of the area.
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance.
- Provide counselling and assistance to clients:
- Provide appropriate and timely assessments based on client needs and provide counselling according to the assessment.
- Provide link-up services to clients and provide support and assistance to clients where required
- Participate in case conferencing and undertake all responsibilities as per the care plan of clients.
- Refer clients appropriately to other services within Mawarnkarra and external to Mawarnkarra. Provide other support when connecting to external agencies inclusive of assistance with applications and forms
- Provide clients with information about the services they are being referred to and provide support as necessary to clients attending other services.
- Follow-up clients on a regular basis.
- Initiative client contact where appropriate and necessary.
- Provide support and assistance to clients in their own environment consistent with the policies of Mawarnkarra.
- Work effectively and appropriately with families.
- Manage client files:
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of record keeping.
- Records all data on clients as required by Mawarnkarra.
- Undertake group education and community activities as required by the funding agreement:
- Plan program work for the year with assistance and approval from management.
- Identify appropriate target audiences, based on evidence and direction from management.
- Develop program materials based on evidence (with support from subject matter experts).
- Ensure program material is reviewed, following relevant Policy prior to presentation.
- Record group education within Communicare as directed by management.
- To engage, attend and support MHS client’s needs through attendance at various forums (including West Pilbara AOD, Roebourne Reform) in relation to mental health.
- Program responsibilities:
- Work with the Business Development Manager and Line Manager to ensure activities required by the funding agreement are undertaken and reported as required.
- Represent the needs of clients on relevant committees as determined by the Line Manager.
- Undertake program promotion, inclusive of MHS Facebook, MHS Web site and MHS Radio Program.
- Professional responsibilities:
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the fulfilment of operational needs of the organisation as they arise.
- Participate in research activities within the services as required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and compliance with all Mawarnkarra policies and procedures.
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Other duties as directed by management.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working with Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Must hold a current drivers licence.
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange. MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.