Disability Advocacy Officer
Disability Services Team
• Roebourne WA location
• Make a real difference
• Join a fun and dynamic workplace
About Mawarnkarra Health Service (MHS)
Mawarnkarra (MHS) is the largest primary health care provider providing direct services to Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander peoples living in the Roebourne area. MHS provides the families of Roebourne with a
fully functional and accredited Clinic that treats approximately 3,000 people per year.
Delivering quality medical services to improve the physical, spiritual, cultural, social and emotional wellbeing
for families. MHS aspires to be a strong, sustainable and recognised health service that builds healthier
communities and positive change for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and those who call
MHS is looking for people who want to make a real difference in the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander families. Are you looking for somewhere to utilise your skill set in a supportive best practice
environment? Are you looking for a career that will allow you to spend time with your family and loved ones,
while still rewarding you well for your time and effort.
We can offer a competitive salary, amazing conditions and a fantastic outdoors lifestyle. We are situated just
an hours drive from Millstream National Park, with swimming holes and rock art to explore. There are islands
to explore just a stones throw from Point Samson or Dampier and some amazing beaches to be found at
Murujuga National Park.
If your looking for that work/life balance then this is the job for you!
Mawarnkarra is an NDIS provider. We are looking for a disability advocacy officer who can respectfully educate
people with disability, family, carers, and community to improve the understanding of disability and disability
The disability advocacy officer aims to improve the lives of people with
disabilities, including those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, through advocacy and
capacity building for individuals and their communities.
You will be responsible for delivering information and support to people who need assistance to access and
understand the NDIS system & welfare services.
People with disability benefit from effective advocacy that promotes, protects, and ensures human rights and
enables full community participation.
1. To provide advocacy assistance to people with disabilities to represent their own views, needs and
expectations to disability service providers, mainstream service providers, government departments, statutory
authorities, courts and other bodies as required.
2. Educate people with a disability, family, carers, and community to improve understanding of disability and
3. Enable people with disability to participate in the decision making processes that safeguard and advance
their human rights.
4. Support individual people with disability to exercise their rights, through either one-to-one support, or by
supporting people to advocate for themselves individually, through a third party or on a group basis.
5. Systemic advocacy seeks to introduce and influence longer term changes to ensure the rights of people with
disability are attained and upheld to positively affect the quality of their lives.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Consent to a Working with Children Check, a National Police Certificate and NDIS Worker Screening.
Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
• Current Driver’s License.
• Current CPR Certificate.
• COVID-19 Vaccinated. (triple vax as per government mandate for all health care workers)
• All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol screening.
Remuneration Benefits include:
• This is a fulltime position, base Salary $60,333 + Allowances
• Superannuation 10.5%
• You will have access to generous salary sacrificing (pre-tax dollars)
Please email your resume and application for a role through to HR Department. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.