Disability Advocacy Officer
Disability Services Team
Disability Advocacy Officer is part of the Disability Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service.
The Service objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Disability Services Manager
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations (including confidentiality) and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The disability advocacy officer aims to improve the lives of people with
disabilities, including those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds,
through advocacy and capacity building for individuals and their communities.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- The ability to establish strong relationships with people with disability and families and service providers in community.
- The ability to communicate clearly and sensitively when talking to people and their families
- The ability to work independently in your community, and with your team at Mawarnkarra
- A strong commitment to your community, linking in and compassion for people with disabilities
- Excellent listening and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills, initiative, good judgment and extreme reliability
- Must have a non-judgemental attitude regardless of a participants needs
- Be approachable, positive and
- Have the ability to cultivate professional working relationships with participants and their
- Have demonstrated skills to communicate culturally and appropriately with community
- Local language skills is advantageous.
- Build strong relationship with local organisations, the NOIA and mainstream
- Respect confidentiality and build trust.
- Comply with legislation.
- Manage potential conflicts of interest and if required seek assistance to do
- Other reasonable duties as directed by your line manager
- To provide advocacy assistance to people with disabilities to represent their own views, needs and expectations to disability service providers, mainstream service providers, government departments, statutory authorities, courts and other bodies as required.
- Educate people with a disability, family, carers, and community to improve understanding of disability and disability issues.
- Enable people with disability to participate in the decision making processes that safeguard and advance their human rights.
- Support individual people with disability to exercise their rights, through either one-to-one support, or by supporting people to advocate for themselves individually, through a third party or on a group basis.
- Systemic advocacy seeks to introduce and influence longer term changes to ensure the rights of people with disability are attained and upheld to positively affect the quality of their lives.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to a Working with Children Check, a National Police Certificate and NDIS Worker Screening. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Current Driver’s License.
Current CPR Certificate.
COVID-19 Vaccinated. (triple vax as per government mandate for all health care workers)
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol screening.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.