GENERAL PRACTITIONER (GP)
Clinical Services Team
The GP is part of the Clinical Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service. The Service objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
The Senior Medical Officer
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Refer to the employment contract for further conditions of employment.
The role of the GP is to, in collaboration with the Senior Medical Officer, other managers and staff, implement the relevant objectives of the organisation by ensuring that the clinical services deliver a supportive, quality, effective and efficient service in order that the health needs of clients and the community are met.
SELECTION CRITERIA, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Motivation to provide service excellence.
Ability to negotiate complex social and health issues with clients.
Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
Ability to problem solve effectively on a day to day basis and in a crisis situation.
- A demonstrated capacity to work effectively and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- A commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance.
- Ability to prioritise workload and demonstrated organisational skills.
1. Provide clinical care:
Provide an excellent standard of clinical services based on evidence based best practice standards.
Provide education and health promotion to clients during consultations.
Provide clients with a high level of care appropriate to their needs and that includes health screening and early detection activities such as well person checks, care planning, mental health screening, referral for screening activities, health promotion and opportunistic activities such as education and advice on quit smoking and healthy lifestyle activities.
Ensure all clinical services are correctly claimed under the Medicare system.
Ensure that all care and follow-up care is documented in a timely manner, consistent with organisation policies and such that a current history and patient summary can be quickly accessed at any time.
Assist the Clinic Nurse in ensuring that all recalls for patients are up-to-date at all times
2. Infection control
- Maintain infection control principles, policies and procedures at all times and demonstrate leadership in same.
Provide formal and opportunistic education to all staff on the principles, policies and procedures of infection control.
3. Integrity of immunisations:
Ensure all vaccines used at Mawarnkarra have been stored in the correct manner to maintain their integrity prior to being administered to a client.
4. Education and health promotion:
- Work in collaboration with other staff at Mawarnkarra on implementing education and health promotion activities for clients and the community.
- Provide education and training to other health service staff on clinical issues and treatments.
- Provide advice, education and referrals to clients as necessary.
5. Participate in and collaborate on the management of quality improvement activities relevant to the clinic and in particular RACGP accreditation:
- Ensure proper procedures are in place for the appropriate referral of clients to other health services internal and external.
- Ensure all standards are maintained for the purpose of RACGP Accreditation and take responsibility for coordinating RACGP Accreditation processes in collaboration with the Clinic Nurse and Senior Medical Officer.
- Ensure that all documentation is consistent with best practice standards for documentation in health care.
- Ensure that all Medicare documentation is complete and submitted appropriately and assist staff with same.
7. Professional responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Senior Medical Officer and Practice Manager on quality improvement activities and opportunities as they relate to clinical care and client management.
- Collaborate effectively within the multidisciplinary team, taking account of the varying skills, educational levels and contributions of different team members.
- Maintain all relevant criteria for the purpose of professional registration and certification as a General Practitioner.
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the fulfilment of operational needs of the organisation as they arise.
- Participate in research activities within the services as required
- Demonstrate an understanding of and compliance with all Mawarnkarra policies and procedures
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment
- Participate in all quality improvement activities of the organisation as required.
- Reasonable duties required by management
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
- Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
- Consent to a Working with Children Check must be provided prior to confirmation of employment. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
- Current Valid Driver’s Licence.
Current AHPRA Registration.
Current CPR Certificate.
- All staff at Mawarnkarra are subject to regular and random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.