Midwife Registered Nurse
Clinical Services Team
The Midwife is part of the Clinical Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service. The Service objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to the Aboriginal people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Senior Medical Officer
The Child and Maternal Health Coordinator
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The role of the Midwife is to improve health outcomes for Aboriginal people through the provision of culturally sensitive care to women and babies. The Child and Maternal Health service relies on a partnership between WA Health, maternity and community based services and Mawarnkarra.
The Midwife promotes access to midwifery services, provides midwifery services and pre and post natal care to babies for a period of time appropriate to the circumstances but at least to 6 weeks of age.
The objective is to reduce the rate of prematurity in Aboriginal babies, increase the access to antenatal care before 16 weeks, ensure the ongoing provision of the highest standards of care to clients, reduce peri natal mortality, reduce smoking in pregnancy, reduce low birth weight, increase the proportion of breastfed babies, and refer clients to the early childhood health service.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Motivation to provide service excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated capacity to work in a collaborative manner with staff.
- Good oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve issues on a day to day basis.
- Ability to discuss and explain complex issues to clients.
- Demonstrated high level of clinical skills relevant to the position.
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues and barriers that impact upon the health outcomes of Aboriginal women and babies.
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance.
1. Midwifery services
- Provide comprehensive, safe and effective evidence based nursing and midwifery care.
- Provide education and support to clients during pregnancy with the aim of reducing risk factors during pregnancy.
- Provide a high level of clinical monitoring to pregnant women and refer to medical services as indicated.
- Promote breastfeeding and provide support on same.
- Provide antenatal care including booking in, assisting with client support, referrals, discharge arrangements and follow up care.
- Provide antenatal education.
- Engage client with services such as Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol, plus other services provided by Mawarnkarra such as the clinic.
- Assist with client referrals and attendance to other service providers.
- Attend a consultation to all clients when in hospital.
- Build positive relationships with Aboriginal Community organisations.
- Provide postnatal care to at least eight weeks and longer where appropriate.
- Facilitate the transition of clients to Child and Family Health Services.
2. Program implementation and management:
- Ensure a clear understanding of Mawarnkarra key performance indicators pursuant to contractual obligations for funding of the position.
- Understand how the program integrates with the overall strategic direction of MHS and work with the Coordinator to implement any new program initiatives as they arise.
- Achieve the key performance indicators (as relevant and applicable to the position) for the Child and Maternal Health program.
- Work with and under the direction of, the Child and Maternal Health Coordinator in initiating activities that will facilitate optimal outcomes against the key performance indicators.
- Work with the Child and Maternal Health Coordinator in facilitating the education of staff on issues relevant to the health of midwifery clients.
- Attend meetings with or on behalf of the Child and Maternal Health Coordinator and provide expert input into the various working groups and program management groups.
- Promote cooperative and collaborative working relationships with other health service providers in the area.
3. Reporting and health data responsibilities:
- Maintain accurate clinical documentation at all times.
- Ensure that data is at all times accurate, complete and up to date.
4. Quality improvement activities:
- Take an active role in continual quality improvement in the delivery of client services.
- Ensure all standards are maintained consistent with evidence based best practice standards as applicable to the role of Midwife.
5. Professional responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with and understanding of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Board Competency standards, codes and guidelines.
- Work in collaboration with the Child and Maternal Health Coordinator on all relevant issues.
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the successful outcomes of the organisation.
- Participate in research activities within the services as required.
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working With Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Current Drivers Licence.
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to [email protected]. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Explore local and northwest attractions near Mawarnkarra Health Service
Our service is located within the City of Karratha 40 minutes from Karratha.
The Pilbara is home to several beautiful beaches with opportunities for diving and snorkelling. The area is perfect for fishing and other water-based activities such as boating, sailing and whale watching. Millstream Chichester National Park is famous for its watering holes and camping spots. Within just a few hours’ drive are the world heritage listed sites of Karijini National Park and Ningaloo Reef. There are regular community events such as the Dampier Markets and horse racing and the recent development of the Karratha Art’s Precinct has opened the region up to more artistic pursuits including exhibitions, dance and theatre performances. We enjoy easy access to attractions such as Indigenous Rock Art accessed through guided tours on the Burrup Peninsula.
Explore more about the Pilbara here.