Remote Community Connector
Disability Services Team
Remote Community Connector is part of the Disability Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service.
The Service objective is to provide holistic, primary health care services to people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Disability Services Manager
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations (including confidentiality) and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The Remote Community Connector aims to engage, inform and assist people living in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander remote communities through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) pathway process
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- The ability to establish strong relationships with people with disability and families and service providers in community.
- The ability to communicate clearly and sensitively when talking to people and their families
- The ability to work independently in your community, and with your team at Mawarnkarra
- A strong commitment to your community, linking in and compassion for people with disabilities
- Excellent listening and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills, initiative, good judgment and extreme reliability
- Must have a non-judgemental attitude regardless of a participants needs
- Be approachable, positive and respectful.
- Reside locally and have extensive local knowledge about the community.
- Be accepted in their role as a Remote Community Connector by the community.
- Have the ability to cultivate professional working relationships with participants and their families.
- Have demonstrated skills to communicate culturally and appropriately with community members.
- Local language skills is advantageous
- Build strong relationship with local organisations, the NOIA and mainstream services.
- Respect confidentiality and build trust.
- Comply with legislation.
- Manage potential conflicts of interest and if required seek assistance to do so.
- Other reasonable duties as directed by your line manager
1. The ability to assist in promoting broader community understanding and awareness of the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
2. The ability to act as a cultural broker between the community and the Customer by providing relevant information and referring people with disability and families to the Support Coordinator.
3. Assist community members to test their eligibility for the NDIS and support the Participant Pathway process.
4. Assist in linking people for Customer meetings and provider appointments.
5. Support local linkages with the local health clinic, community school, and other community-based service organisations.
6. Support the Customer to assist people interested in the scheme to obtain and complete Access Request (ARF) forms and to attend appointments.
7. Be available on-site to support Customer staff during scheduled visits.
8. Advise the Customer of community and cultural events that may impact community visits.
9. Assist Customer staff to locate potential participants.
10. Be a point of contact for the Customer.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working with Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Must hold a current drivers licence.
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Explore local and northwest attractions near Mawarnkarra Health Service
Our service is located within the City of Karratha 40 minutes from Karratha.
The Pilbara is home to several beautiful beaches with opportunities for diving and snorkelling. The area is perfect for fishing and other water-based activities such as boating, sailing and whale watching. Millstream Chichester National Park is famous for its watering holes and camping spots. Within just a few hours’ drive are the world heritage listed sites of Karijini National Park and Ningaloo Reef. There are regular community events such as the Dampier Markets and horse racing and the recent development of the Karratha Art’s Precinct has opened the region up to more artistic pursuits including exhibitions, dance and theatre performances. We enjoy easy access to attractions such as Indigenous Rock Art accessed through guided tours on the Burrup Peninsula.
Explore more about the Pilbara here.