Sexual Health Registered Nurse
Clinical Services Team
The Sexual Health Registered Nurse is part of the Client Services Team of Mawarnkarra Health Service. The Service objective is to provide holistic, sexual health care services to the Aboriginal people of the West Pilbara region.
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
Senior Medical Officer
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Conditions of employment as identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreements pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The role of the Sexual Health Registered Nurse is to enhance the clinical services provided to clients of Mawarnkarra with the aim of improving health outcomes for Aboriginal people of the area.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Motivation to provide service excellence
- Demonstrated ability to work with best practice standards
- Demonstrated high level of clinical skills relevant to the position
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a multi disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve issues on a day-to-day basis
- Ability to discuss and explain complex issues to clients
- An understanding of the standards required for documentation and electronic data management in health
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues and barriers that impact upon the health outcomes of Aboriginal people
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, evidence based research and quality assurance
1. Clinical and other services
- Support and promote the integration of STI testing into routine primary health care, including adult health checks.
- Provide evidence based STI/BBV clinical management to symptomatic clients and named contacts including testing, treatment, contact tracing and follow-up.
- Oversee the management of recalls and reminders for the clinic. Ensure all recalling of patients for treatments is up-to-date at all times.
- Work collaboratively with other staff including Medical staff, other Nursing staff, Receptionists, Aboriginal Health Workers and the Programs Services Team on client care.
- Work with the sexual health outreach worker to improve contact tracing processes and completeness in a culturally competent manner.
- Promote, deliver and utilise the “test and treat” model using point of care tests (PoCT) to allow for immediate screening and treatment of Syphilis, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.
- Upskill clinical staff in administering the “test and treat” model using point of care tests (PoCT).
- Act as a clinical resource to support and develop other members of the health team.
- Disseminate culturally appropriate health, communication and education materials to promote awareness of the outbreak across the region.
2. Education and health promotion
- Work in collaboration with other staff at Mawarnkarra and take a leadership role in implementing education and health promotion for clients and the community.
- Develop and maintain care planning of clients.
- Provide advice, education and referrals for clients as necessary.
3. Partnerships, planning and management
Collaborate with key stakeholders to:
- Develop strategies for increasing STI/BBV screening at a local level, particularly individuals at risk that have not been screened or are under-screened.
- Maintain networks and contribute to planning forums, steering groups and consultancies in order to assist with the sexual health program.
- Provide appropriate and relevant feedback to MHS clinical personnel, management and the local communities on the program.
- Facilitate health promotion and prevention, community awareness and health literacy relating to STI/BBVs.
- Facilitate community based health education regarding risk, prevention and management of STI/BBVs.
4. Infection control
- Maintain infection control principles at all times.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures in regards to infection control management.
5. Reporting, evaluation and data management
- Record relevant information in Communicare to ensure completeness and reliability of reporting.
- Maintain clinical level process to ensure completeness of contract tracing.
- Undertake ongoing evaluation of screening coverage and uptake in the communities.
- Seek feedback from the community and target group in regards to planning, implementation and evaluation of any strategies developed.
- Work with management to regularly feedback progress to the funding body.
- Ensure a clear understanding of Mawarnkarra reporting requirements as relevant to the position.
6. Quality improvement activities
- Take a leadership role in continual quality improvement in the delivery of client services.
- Ensure all standards are maintained consistent with evidence based best practice standards as applicable to the role of Sexual Health Registered Nurse.
7. Professional responsibilities
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Participate in and contribute to the fulfilment of operational needs of the organisation as they arise.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and compliance with all Mawarnkarra policies and procedures.
- Participate in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Other Duties as reasonably requested by management.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working with Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Current Drivers Licence.
Current AHPRA Registration.
Current CPR Certificate.
All employees are subject to regular random drug and alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.