Tackling Indigenous Smoking Worker
20 Sholl Street, Roebourne, WA 6718.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:45pm with 45minutes (unpaid) for lunch daily. You are to be ready for work no later than 8:30am daily.
Other conditions of employment are identified in your contract for employment.
All Mawarnkarra employees are required to comply with all policies in force at the time of commencement of employment and those implemented from time to time.
As part of the orientation program, employees are required to sign declarations and agreement pursuant to policies of the Health Service.
The role of the Tackling Indigenous Smoking Worker is to undertake activities aimed at reducing smoking levels and supporting smokers to quit within our service area.
Activities will include:
- Evidence collection within our service area to inform the program
- Brief interventions and positive care through community and support groups
- Education activities, inclusive of social and media campaigns
- Referring clients to formal cessation programs (within our clinic / externally)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Passionate about reducing smoking within the community
- Confident and enjoys undertaking activities within the community
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to learn with a desire to make a difference
- Motivation to provide service excellence
- Ability to conduct outreach activities
- Flexibility around when your program activities occur
- Understands the process to plan and implement community activities and put this work into place within the community
- Shows the ability to prioritise workload
- Understands how to meet the objectives of a work plan
- Ability to record and report on program activities utilising computer software
- Commitment to ongoing participation in education, professional development, and quality assurance.
1. Within a team environment, work to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the profile of smoking within the community, the impacts of smoking, influencing factors on behaviour, and prevention and quitting issues within our service area
- Collect evidence to better understand motivations for smoking and quitting with our community members (learn why, where, when and what)
- Use the evidence collected to plan and implement community programs that educate and support smoking reduction and quitting smoking
- Undertake brief interventions that lead to smoking reduction and cessation
- Deliver smoking cessation and support programs
- Work collaboratively with your team members to make a positive difference to the smoking profile of our community
- Work in partnership with other organizations to assist and promote smoking reduction and quit smoking
- Undertake induction and other training to develop the knowledge to perform this role at the highest level
2. Professional responsibilities:
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct
- Participate in and contribute to the fulfilment of operational needs of the organisation as they arise
- Participate in research activities within the services as required
- Demonstrate leadership in maintaining a safe working environment
- Other duties as directed by management.
Attend and participate in the professional development program and relevant external seminars and conferences, as approved.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
Performance will be appraised on an on-going basis and formally at the first 3 months and annually thereafter.
Consent to undergo a Working With Children Check and a National Police Certificate. Employment is conditional pending the outcome of these checks.
Current Drivers Licence.
All employees are subject to random drug & alcohol testing.
Please email your resume and application for a role through to email@example.com. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Should we progress your application to interview, we will contact you to arrange.
MHS may commence appointment proceedings immediately, appoint by invitation or make no appointment at all. This opportunity is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Explore local and northwest attractions near Mawarnkarra Health Service
Our service is located within the City of Karratha 40 minutes from Karratha.
The Pilbara is home to several beautiful beaches with opportunities for diving and snorkelling. The area is perfect for fishing and other water-based activities such as boating, sailing and whale watching. Millstream Chichester National Park is famous for its watering holes and camping spots. Within just a few hours’ drive are the world heritage listed sites of Karijini National Park and Ningaloo Reef. There are regular community events such as the Dampier Markets and horse racing and the recent development of the Karratha Art’s Precinct has opened the region up to more artistic pursuits including exhibitions, dance and theatre performances. We enjoy easy access to attractions such as Indigenous Rock Art accessed through guided tours on the Burrup Peninsula.
Explore more about the Pilbara here.